Our Story

How it all started...

In 1916 a group of Christians organized Peoples Baptist Church which was located in a building at the corner of Yandes and Roosevelt Street. The Pastor was the late Rev. William Moore. The church disbanded but in 1919 it was reorganized and renamed Emmanuel Baptist Church. The late Rev. William Martin was the founder and first Pastor. During his pastorate the congregation grew rapidly and the membership relocated to a building at 1419 Roosevelt Avenue. In 1921 the congregation of Emmanuel under the pastorate of Rev. William Martin purchased the Health Memorial Methodist Church located at 1425 Arsenal Avenue. In 1922 the congregation marched
from the Roosevelt site to the Arsenal location and resided there for the next forty-nine years. Rev. Martin served as Pastor for twelve years from 1919 until his transition in November, 1929.

Expanding the vision...

In 1940 Rev. Frank Roy Hatcher was voted Pastor and the church began to thrive. In 1968 under the pastorate of the late Rev. Frank Roy Hatcher the congregation decided to build after the State of Indiana Highway Department notified the church that relocation was necessary due to a highway I-70 expansion project. On May 19,
1969groundbreaking ceremonies took place at 4958 E. 30th Street. On April 5, 1970 the congregation entered into the new sanctuary,
rejoicing and praising God. Through the grace of God and the financial commitment of the membership the sanctuary and its contents
were paid in full within 7 years. The blessings of God was upon Emmanuel but the year of 1980 was a difficult and a sorrowful time for the congregation. On March 16, 1980 the Assistant Pastor Rev. Roosevelt Washington transition to his eternal home and seventeen days later on April 12, 1980 the congregation also experienced the transition of  Rev. Frank Roy Hatcher who had served as Emmanuel’s Pastor for forty years. On Sunday, July 20, 1980 the congregation elected Rev. James Curtis Davis as Pastor and we became Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church. Under the pastorate of the late Rev. Davis the church experienced growth and it became necessary to expand the church building. In October 1985 expansion to enlarge the sanctuary and add additional classrooms was completed. On October 12, 1994 the congregation experienced the eternal transition of Rev. James Curtis Davis who had served as Pastor for fourteen

God is still with us.

Once again the congregation persevered and trusted God to send another godly Pastor. On February 9, 1996 it was unanimously voted
that Rev. Darryl K. Webster would become the Pastor of Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church. On Sunday, March 31, 1996 Rev. Darryl K. Webster was installed and he preached his first sermon as Pastor on Sunday, April 7, 1996. The congregation began to grow rapidly through Pastor Webster’s vibrant teaching and preaching and it became necessary to add additional worship services. In 2004 our present sanctuary was constructed under the leadership of Pastor Webster in addition to several new ministries being established. The
congregation of Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church has existed 103 years through difficult times and we have survived because we truly know that “God is with Us.”

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 10:00 am